How to Backup & Move Joomla Websites
It is quite simple when you move a simple HTML website to a new server or just make a backup of it. What I need to do if I want to backup my site or if I want to move it to a new server?
Joomla Website Backup
You can make a backup of your Joomla site manually or using a backup extension (which you can download from the official Joomla extension directory). Manually backup means that you copy all your files via FTP or File Manager (this will work faster) and export the MySQL database from phpMyAdmin. With a backup component you can save everything by clicking on one button, but after completing the backup you have to download this to your computer. The best is to keep a copy of the website and database on your computer or on a different server.
Move Joomla website to new server
Moving a Joomla website to a new server requires little bit more time and few other steps.
1. The first step is to back up the files and export the database.
2. Add your domain to the new server using the control panel and assign it to a folder, where you will upload the joomla files (ie. mysite)
3. Upload the files to the new server into that directory where you domain is redirected (ie. public_html/mysite)
4. Create a new MySQL database and a new MySQL user and don’t forget the password you will use. Add the user to the database.
5. Via phpMyAdmin import the database from your computer to the new created database.
6. You are almost done. Now you have to change the configuration.php file and update it with the new server info. In this file there are about 60 lines, but you have to change only the following:
- var $host = 'localhost';
- var $user = 'your MySQL user';
- var $password = 'password of MySQL user';
- var $db = 'name of MySQL database';
- var $log_path = 'ie. public_html/mysite/logs';
- var $tmp_path = 'ie. public_html/mysite/tmp';
You can find the configuration.php file in the main folder of your joomla installation (ie. public_html/myoldsite/configuration.php)
7. Now everything should work perfectly, and you have to change only the DNS of you domain name and wait for the next DNS update (this may take up to 24 hours).
Suggestions: Before you change the DNS, we recommend trying out if the moved website works with a blank domain name or with a subdomain, just to be sure that your website will work without errors after the DNS update.